If you are a permanent resident or a citizen or a work permit holder in Canada and want to bring your family then it can happen by sponsoring your dependents as allowed by the Government of Canada. The eligible residents must be above 18 years of age to sponsor their spouses, parents, children, grandparents, and partners to live along with them in the country.
How to Get Settled in Canada with Family
The Dependent Visa Facts
The Dependent Visa of Canada allows the residents to bring the dependents to the country and further enables them to study or work full time once they get the appropriate permission.
The following relations can be sponsored under this category:
- The spouse or a conjugal partner or a common-law partner
- Parents/ grandparents who are dependent
- Children below the age of 21 who are dependent
- A child adopted outside Canada, while the sponsor held citizenship or permanent residence of Canada
- Any other close relative like a brother, sister, uncle, aunt, niece, or nephew
The sponsored dependent can then apply for permission to work to get a job in Canada.
Child Visa Rules for the above purpose
- Any child adopted outside the country while the sponsor was a citizen of Canada
- Any child, who was intended to be adopted in Canada
- Any brother, sister, nephew, niece, or grandchild of the sponsor who is an orphan and fulfills the eligibility criteria
Eligibility Criteria for a Child Visa:
- The child must be below the age of 22 and must not have a spouse or a conjugal or common-law partner.
- The child must be either the biological child or the adopted child of the sponsor.
- The child shall not be financially independent and it shall be proved that he/she is dependent on the sponsor for his financial requirements.
- Any child, who is physically or mentally unfit to support themselves, does not have any age limit for seeking sponsorship.
- All documents supporting evidence of the relationship between the sponsor and the child must be submitted.
- A medical examination of the child who is to be sponsored must be done and documents stating that he/she has no criminal case pending shall also be submitted.
- The medical test must have been conducted by a physician, who is approved by the Government of Canada.
Eligibility Criteria for Sponsoring a Dependent
Any individual, who wants to sponsor a dependent visa, shall submit the documents which could provide all details about the finances for at least the past year to the IRCC. The authorities shall then decide, whether, or not the sponsor has all the means to monetarily support the dependent/ dependents he/she intends to sponsor.
Documents Required for Sponsorship
For sponsoring any dependent, the following documents will be required.
- Travel history and Passport
- Background Documentation
- Partner or Spouse documentation which includes the marriage certificate
- Any other testimony of the relationship
- Earnings proof of the sponsor which shall show ample finances
- Application for sponsoring and the consulate fees.