According to a study report of the University of Montreal, the average spending of an international student studying in Canada is as expending as US$11,685 per annum. Along with the tuition fees costing US$20,540 per year, it is inevitable for the international students to look for a part-time job in order to earn some extra money for their survival.
Therefore, it is the pertinent question, whether the international student studying in Canada are allowed to work with their student visa as long as they are studying in the Canadian universities. If they can, the immediate question would be the type of work they are allowed to or the duration of work they can have.
That is why it is quite important for the international students to have clear knowledge about the privileges they are provided along with their student visa in order to search a part-time job.
If you can work on your campus while as Student in Canada
While you are a full-time international student studying in Canada with a valid student permit, you are allowed to work on your campus an unlimited number of hours for a wage even if you do not have a work permit. You will also need to have a social security number at
- Your college or university,
- A college-level private school in Quebec which operates like a private school that is funded at least 50 percent by government grants.
- A Canadian private school under the provincial law which is legally eligible to award a degree.
- You might accept employment on the campus of your institution where you are registered for full-time studies.
- You may also accept employment on campus or even off campus while you are meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (V) or (W).
- But if you do not meet these criteria you must cease working.
But there may be a situation where you may find that all these conditions or not printed on your visa. In that case, you have the provision for requesting Service Canada authority to add them on your visa at no extra cost.
If you are granted for working on campus that will include any campus owned by your university in Canada where you could work for the school, faculty member, Student Organization, private business, and private contractor that provides on-campus services.
If you can have off-campus work option as International Student in Canada
You are entitled to an off-campus job for 20 hours a week without a work permit if you meet certain criteria.
- You need to have a valid student permit.
- Have already started your study.
- And you are a full-time student.
- Your academic program is at least six months long that leads to a degree diploma or certificate.
- And finally, have a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
If you meet the above-mentioned criteria, then you are eligible for applying as an international student studying in Canada for the work permit in Canada and you will be allowed to work for 40 hours a week.