An Indian Doctor in Canada may wish to practice in Canada for a better future. Here are some challenges that can possibly paralyze the path of the Indian doctors in several ways.
Opportunities for Indian Doctor in Canada
After years of grueling hard work and finally getting the much-coveted MBBS degree from India, an Indian doctor may wish to try luck in abroad such as Canada. However, the following formalities are there that have to be completed in Canada in order to set up a full-fledged medical practice or do any other allied medical sector jobs.
- The primary requirement for an Indian doctor in Canada is to get a valid medical license for the province, where one wishes to practice. He or she has to pass the certification exams in the concerned province through the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- The license procedure demands a foreign doctor to go through the series of examinations and get certified based on eligibility, program selection, qualifying the exam followed by final certification.
- The doctors have to undergo the language proficiency tests, credentialing, postgraduate training and assessment, return-of-service agreements too.
- Study groups for the Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Exam (MCCEE) Qualifying Exam Part I and Part II are provided by some immigrant-friendly organizations. Here, an Indian doctor can discuss and explore matters of medical science in Canada. Simultaneously, they can get in touch with the practicing Canadian physicians and consultants as well.
- It is wise to contact the governing body of the medical practices in the concerned Province of Canada immediately after getting the immigrant-visa. It can give guidance regarding the formalities and fees required for licensing. The departure date can then be decided accordingly.
- Nevertheless, an Indian doctor in Canada must be aware of the fact that getting a medical license in Canada is a complicated process and sometimes, it may take around 5-6 years. Often, this leads to extreme frustration and depression. One has to be well-equipped with ample amount of financial resources as well as courage and tenacity in order to fulfill the dreams as a doctor in Canada.
- Selecting the correct credential assessment agency is essential too. This can be a deciding factor for the foreign doctors to be correctly evaluated based on assessment followed by timely certification. Colleges and university programs are also available for honing the medical skills in Canada.
Best places to work as a doctor in Canada
It is crucial to select the appropriate province to work in Canada. This will be helpful later onwards in the process of getting a medical license based on the requirements of that particular province. In this regard, provinces like Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, Labrador, Quebec, Saskatchewan, Prince Edward, etc. will be good to work in Canada. There are certain rural areas too with increasing demand for family doctors and physicians.
Expected remuneration as a doctor in Canada
Once an Indian doctor manages to overcome all the hurdles and start practicing as a doctor, he or she can earn up to 1,50,000C$ (Canadian dollar) after completion of residency. However, this is completely dependent upon the hours of work, reputation, skills and area of work of the concerned doctor. At present, the demand of family medicine is in high demand in Canada, owing to acute crisis of doctors in this genre.
With the expansion of medical colleges and universities with enhanced quality of education, the obstacles are likely going to rise for an Indian doctor in Canada. This is because Canada will have more resident doctors then and will try to stay away from recruiting foreign doctors due to complexities involved in formalities. Hence, it is advisable for the Indian counterparts to proceed very thoughtfully in this regard.