Now that your family is complete with having adopted a child, you must be running about trying to understand how to sponsor him/her into Canada. The government of Canada is sincerely committed to preserving the family fabrics and therefore, applications from families for adopted kids are a primary commitment.
Who are Eligible?
Temporary foreign workers in Canada and permanent residents can bring in their adopted child to Canada following a few steps, part of the Child Sponsorship Program under Family Class Immigration.
If you wish to bring in more than a single adopted child, at once, you will need to prove financial prowess for the same. As a sponsor, you need to be a citizen of Canada or a permanent residence. You need to be at least 18 years age wise.
There are certain criteria you must NOT meet though. These are as follows-
- Criminal record
- Removal order receiver
- Social assistance receiver unless disability factor exists
- Conviction on any ground
- Unpaid child support payments
- Uncleared immigration loan amounts
- Inadmissibility into Canada
- Less than five years of residence permanently in Canada
Factors for Adopted Child Sponsorship
- Both the sponsored and sponsor must have a valid relationship proof of adoption
- Proof of adoption being in the last leg of formalization
- Approval for visa receipt from the IRCC or Immigration, Refugee, and Citizenship Canada
- Adoption can be done in and outside of Canada
- Proof of financial ability to bear expenses related to the child
- Permanent residence of at least five years
Steps to apply for Sponsorship
- Submit application
- Ensure submission of relevant documentation such as:
- Medical certificates
- Police verification
- Proof of relationship
- Income documents
Submit the application online, after making the requested payment. Notify visa office in case the contact details you submit in application see any changes later on.
- Post perusal of applications, visa office authorities generally conducts an interview.
- After verification and quizzing to their satisfaction, the passport needs submission—both of the adopted child and the sponsor.
- Once you gain approval, remember that you will eventually have to keep your adopted child full-time in Canada.
- He/she will undergo the required medical tests before arrival. Moreover, once the grant of PR is done, your adopted child will have the rights of a permanent resident in Canada. There will also be no restriction on study or work either!