The agri-foods sector in Canada is a flourishing one. However, of late labor shortages have grappled it badly. The government of Canada therefore introduced the agri-food pilot project that addresses these issues. Additionally, this comes across as a way for non-seasonal working class and experienced laborers to find means to settle in Canada. Currently the program is valid until May 2023.
The eligibility criteria for the Agri-Food Pilot scheme for PR are listed as under-
- Canadian working experiences across eligible industries
- A valid full-time offer for job from a local Canadian
- Language eligibility decided as per relevant scores in French, English or both
- Availability of settlement fund
- Right educational qualification
Eligible Industrial Niches
NAICS or the North American Industry Classification System specifies the list of eligible industries. You need to have a job offer from an employer belonging to any one of these industry sectors-
- Meat product manufacturing
- Greenhouse, nursery, floriculture
- Animal production
- Cattle ranching/farming
What Job Profiles are Eligible?
This list is made with data from the NOC or National Occupational Classification-
- Retail butchers
- Industrial butchers
- Farm supervisors, specialized livestock worker
- Food processing worker
- General farm worker
- Harvesting laborer
The pilot applications are processed on the first day of every year since the time it was launched. Generally, applications are perused on first-come-first-serve basis.
What exactly is Canadian work experience?
To fulfill this criterion, you need to be aware of what exactly comes under Canadian working experience. To begin with, you need to have completed 1560 hours at the least over the last three years in full-time work that isn’t seasonal. Your employer must have submitted an LMIA or Labor Market Impact Assessment ranging for a year’s span, while you had been hired.
Do you need Settlement Money?
You need to have income proof that you have ample funds to support family or yourself. Even if family is not coming to the country, the fund requirements still hold true. If you have already been working in Canada, the settlement funds must reflect via assets or accounts.
Steps after Application submission
Once your application is received, the next step is to answer the calls for –
- Bio-metrics (Covid has laced in changes to this. Check relevant official website information)
- Confirmation of application review
- Add-on documentation
- Fixing interview timings
- Post application, in case you experience events that alter your documentation status, make sure to inform the authorities. These could be-
- Death in family
- Contact information changes