The need for family to be around you is all the more pronounced when you have lived away for a bit. A number of immigrants to Canada who have settle down desire to being in their parents or even grandparents over to make one big happy family. While it is common knowledge that the chances that every application for parents or grandparents visa/residency might not be accepted, it is important to understand the ways to go about this.
Financial Eligibility to sponsor your Parents to Canada
The first thing to remember is that for bringing your grandparents or parents over you need not be eligible to support them financially. You will not be eligible to obtain any social assistance from federal or provincial schemes at all.
Provincial Rules governing Sponsorship of Parents to Canada
Every province has a set mark for finances needed in this regard. Additionally, you must be of 18 years age at least and a permanent Canadian citizen.
Documentation Required to Sponsor Parents to Canada
- · When applying for sponsoring your parents/grandparents a sponsorship agreement and an undertaking needs signing from your end. The former states that the sponsored person will try in all capacity to become financially independent and that the sponsor will have to take care of all basic needs of parents/grandparents.
- · The undertaking will state that for at least two decades, you will be able to provide for family coming into Canada. You need to sign up for repayment of all social aid for the family.
- · The above documents apply for grandparents/parents coming in to stele outside of Quebec. Quebec has specifics for approval of a citizen as a sponsor mentioned separately on their immigration site.
- · Remember that you can sponsor only your birth/adoptive parents/grandparents. This does not apply for parents of your spouse. You can only be a co-signer in such a case. The number of people you sponsor isn’t an issue as long as the financial eligibility is verified.
- · Your parents/grandparents will need to have relevant documents ready for checks as well as qualify through the processes of medical, police verification and bio-metrics.
Covid and its Impact
- · Due to Covid, all applications of 2020 are seeing delayed processing in the current years. Therefore, check the latest invitation lists using the older confirmation number from 2020.
- · Keep a valid email ID handy since then government sends all communications and invitations via this mode. For 2021, the government is expected to accept 30,000 applications.
- · You can either apply for permanent residency for your parents/grandparents or even a super visa that will allow them staying for a couple of years.
The government randomly selects applications for invitations. For sponsoring your grandparents or parents, you need a valid client ID number and the right date when you were granted citizenship for Canada. Your citizenship certificate, therefore, will be a primary document to keep close.