You can get married in Canada even if you are visiting from any other country or on a visitor visa or temporary resident visa.
The option of marriage is open to all Canadian citizens as well as to those permanent residences who wish to marry Canadian citizen. If you are landing in Canada with your partner from another country, there’s no need to be Canadian citizens to get married.
In that case, you need to meet some of the criteria of the province in which you choose to get married. The requirements vary from one province to another.
What you need for getting married in Canada Ontario?
If you prefer to get married in Canada Ontario, you will need to fulfill the eligibility criteria set by the province. The criteria list is shared below:
- Both partners need to be a minimum of 16 years old. In case, you are below 18 years, you need to get the consent of your legal guardians or parents.
- Since 2003, same-sex marriages have been made legal in the Ontario province. And, in 2005 it has been stated legal for all Canadians. if you are planning to marry someone of the opposite- sex or same-sex, you will get easy approval from the Ontario marriage authorities.
- You cannot marry someone who has blood relation with you. Both of you cannot fall under the category of close relatives by adoption. Like, brothers-sisters parent-child and grandparent-grandchild.
- You or your partner should not have any existing marriage. You need to show your divorce certificate if you have been married previously. In case, your previous spouse is no longer alive, the death certificate is mandatory.
- You need to be physically present to get married to your partner. Is not possible to get married through webcam, telephone or using any proxy.
- In order to get married in Canada, we need to have a marriage certificate and marriage license.
How can you obtain the marriage license in Canada as Immigrant?
You can easily apply for such a license wherever you want to get married in a City hall or municipal office.
You will require two identification documents issued by the government for both of you. It includes the original copy of the following documents:
- A valid driver’s license of your origin country
- Citizenship card of your native country
- Immigrant landing records
- Birth certificate issued by the government of your native country
A Canadian marriage license has 90 days of validity from the issuing date.
Do you need to obtain a marriage certificate as Immigrant in Canada?
Once you clear the marriage procedures, you will need to obtain your marriage certificate as proof of your unity.
Who can tie the marriage knots in Ontario as Immigrant in Canada?
Go through the requirements to know if you are eligible to get married in Ontario. Procure accurate details from the official website of the Ontario government.
Getting married- What documents you need to submit as Immigrant before getting married in Ontario Canada
Learn about government documents if you planning to get married in the city of Ontario from the official Government website.