Do I need Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)? How to apply for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

When an employer in Canada is planning to hire skilled foreign workers, who will contribute towards the economic growth of Canada, he as an employer will need Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) documents. Before hiring a foreign worker through Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP) or the International Mobility Program (IMP), it is necessary for an employer to apply for Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). The Labor Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) will verify that whether he is in genuine need of a temporary worker and that there are no Canadians available to do that job.

How to apply for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

 Check: Do you require Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)?

First and foremost try to understand whether you will need Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to hire an employee or not. There are two ways you can find that out. LMIA also comes with it exemption codes which you can review to check your eligibility or you can directly contact an International Mobility Worker Unit for help.

How to review the LMIA exemption codes?

You can follow these simple steps:

  • Visit the official government site of Canada and review the list of regulations enlisted under the Labour Market Impact Assessment exemption codes table.
  • Then select the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) exemption code that is the most relevant to your situation of hiring and read the detailed information that has been provided.
  • Note down the exemption code that suited you as you will have to provide the code in your offer of employment.

Moreover, you can contact the International Mobility Worker Unit (IMWU) for your province or your territory to get detailed information on Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) .

How to contact International Mobility Worker Unit (IMWU)?

The International Mobility Worker Units helps you to determine whether the foreign worker you are trying to hire temporarily, is exempt from the LMIA or other work permits. If you think that your employee is exempt from Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) or other work permits then you can contact IMWU for their opinion on the situation, if the temporary worker is:

  • From a visa exempt country, and
  • Currently outside of Canada.

How to Apply for LMIA?

To apply for LMIA, you can follow the steps provided below:

  1. You will have to refer to the National Occupational Classification (NOC) codes to evaluate the skill level of the occupation.
  2. Canadians and permanent residents are the first priority for any job in Canada. So, the Employment and the Social Development Canada requires you as an employer to meet with broader and effective advertisements to search for domestic employees before you venture out.
  3. You will have to meet or exceed the prevailing wage rate if you want to hire any foreign worker.
  4. Special conditions are levied on workers hired to work in certain industry sectors or occupations as seasonal agriculture, live-in caregivers and other occupations that require a lower level of formal training.
  5. You will have to submit an application for Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) to Service Canada.
  6. When Service Canada Approves the application, you are free to send the job offer to the worker along with the Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) approval.
  7. Make sure that the worker applies for the work permit from IRCC.
  8. When IRCC is satisfied with the qualification of the worker it gives the green signal.

Also Read- How to get Temporary Work Permit in Canada faster

Raima Sen

Next Post

What are the eligibility criteria for your spouse’s work permit in Canada?

Sun Jun 18 , 2017
Working is essential in today’s time. The economic constraints make it a necessity for you to work. When you are staying in a foreign land, money doesn’t come cheap, so to make your ends meet, you and your spouse have to work or if you are a student and have […]
The eligibility criteria for spouse’s work permit in Canada