Troubles The Employers Will Face Due To The New Foreign Worker Rules In Canada
The Canadian government has finally implemented the amendments made regarding the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations, for “Temporary Foreign Workers” (TFW). The main purpose of this new regulatory amendment by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) is to improve the functionality of the country’s TFW Programme as well as the International Mobility Programme (IMP).
The amendment comes with an outline of the needs and conditions to be considered for hiring TFWs within the provinces of Canada. This bill shows the Canadian government’s responsibility toward foreign workers. However, it has some considerable strong stipulations that might become a reason for concern to employers. Having a look at potential problems that the Canadian Employers will face due to New Foreign Workers Rules
What does the Amendment Mean to Implement?
According to the Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC) employers are required to fulfill certain mandatory measures while employing foreign workers. These include:
- Employers must make the TFWs aware of the information regarding their rights within the provinces of Canada.
- There is a prohibition on demanding any form of recruitment fees from the workers.
- The employees cannot be held accountable for the distinct actions of the recruiters.
- The employers must ensure that the employees have proper and quick access to the necessary healthcare services.
- The employers must also look out for private health insurance for the employees if and when needed.
Why is This Regulation Troubling the Employers?
With this bill, both the ESDC and Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) are legally authorized to demand third parties which include banks and other payroll companies to show them the documents that stand for proof of an organization’s compliance.
If there is any case of non-compliance, the ESDC has the power to delay the organization’s Labour Market Impact Assessments, an essential piece of document that is needed if a company is willing to hire a foreign worker.
As you can already understand, these regulations are to make the position of foreign employees fair with respect to the employers. There is no reason for any legitimate employer to get concerned about these new implementations.
Benefits of the Amendment for the Foreign Workers
There is a wide range of benefits that are ensured by such policies and measures mandated by the amendment.
- The amendments have been formulated to ensure dignity, safety, as well as healthy living for the Temporary Foreign Workers. It also ensured equal working benefits to workers from other countries.
- The Canadian government has been able to strengthen the protection system of temporary foreign workers. The workers feel much more secure due to such amendments.
- The amendment makes provision to prevent every form of potential abuse or mismanagement that the TFWs might be subjected to during their employment within the provinces of Canada.
Impact on the Hiring of Foreign Workers
As a result of the amendments made by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), Canadian companies are under the pressure of bringing their Labour Market Impact Assessments under threat.
Along with this, the mandated provisions are adding to their overall cost of employment making it difficult to divide and arrange their budget accordingly. This might have an impact on the hiring preferences of such Canadian firms.
However, firms do not have any other choice as they will have to eventually follow a similar policy for employing employees in any other form. Thus, one should not expect a huge change in the hiring system as the demand for labor is still present.
With the policies, foreign workers will be able to have better trust and improved relations with their employees. As a result, this will have an overall benefit for the Canadian economy as well as the foreign employees looking forward to working in Canada.