How The Changes In Canada Immigration Rules Will Help The Immigration Of Doctors?
Are you a doctor looking to migrate to Canada? Well then, now is the time. Canada has mended its immigration rules, particularly in favor of doctors. So, now you might have the option of getting permanent residency along with your work permit.
What changes have been made to the immigration rules?
There have been significant changes in the Express Entry System that are undertaken by Immigration minister Sean Fraser. This is going to be particularly helpful if you are currently a practicing physician as an immigrant in Canada. Physicians were previously considered to be self-employed in Canada. This exempted them from getting access to the Express Entry System. However, the new changes allow doctors to apply for it. So, now, temporary residents who work as doctors in Canada can apply for permanent residence.
How can a doctor apply for permanent residence in Canada?
If you want to come to Canada as a doctor and acquire a permanent residency, there are two programs. You have to enroll yourself in either of them:
- Federal Skilled Worker program
- Atlantic Immigration pilot
This is crucial because if you want to work in Canada, a work permit is mandatory in case you have not already received the PR status or permanent residence in Canada. Both of these programs will help you get PR status successfully.
Federal Skilled Worker Program
If you are a highly skilled professional who will significantly contribute to the economy of Canada, this program of the Express Entry system is for you. It is one of the most popular immigration programs available. It can track and completely process your visa within a couple of months.
However, there are a few conditions that you need to keep in mind while applying. You must have experience in any job that required any one or more of the following skills:
- Managerial skills
- Business skills
- Technical or professional skills (this is where doctors will come)
Additionally, you also have to pass a points-based assessment. In that case, the National Occupation Classification must have your occupation listed. This is no more a headache for doctors. If the application is successful, you will achieve PR status.
Atlantic Immigration Pilot
You might need this program if you have completed your studies and want to stay in either of the 4 following provinces:
- Nova Scotia
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- New Brunswick
- Prince Edward Island
There is a dearth of doctors in these provinces. So, this program was particularly created to cater to that. Moreover, if you are a doctor and want to stay along the coastal line, this might give you a higher acceptance rate because they need more doctors.
Under this, there are three programs.
- Atlantic International Graduate Program
- Atlantic High-Skilled Program (As a doctor, you have to go for this one)
- Atlantic Intermediate-Skilled Program
Along with the same requirements as in the previous case, there are some more conditions here:
- A degree from Canada or abroad for which you have to do an ECA report
- You have to show your pass results in either an English or French proficiency test as these are the predominant languages in Canada.
- You need to prove that you have minimum funds to support yourself and any financial dependents
Why Are These Changes Made To The Canadian Immigration Rules To Facilitate Doctors Immigration?
Since 2020, the pandemic has toppled the healthcare system everywhere. Therefore, there is a shortage of doctors in various Canadian provinces as well.
- As already mentioned, in Canada, doctors are considered self-employed. Under such situations, immigrant doctors cannot apply for Express Entry. However, unlocking the option of PR status makes it more attractive for doctors to shift there which in turn helps the healthcare system of the country.
- In 2022 itself, Canada has got more than 8,600 temporary as well as permanent resident applications from would-be immigrants who want to work in the healthcare industry.
- In 2021, IRCC gave work permits and extensions to more than 2500 doctors, along with 620 nurses, 550 nurses aides, and orderlies. This is why Immigration Minister Sean Fraser said that these people have become an important part of not just the Canadian economy but also the lives of the native Canadians.
Why Should You Move To Canada As A Doctor?
As you can already assume, different provinces have varied needs when it comes to healthcare professionals.
However, a doctor usually earns $211,000 to $281,000 per year. Moreover, if you are a specialist, then it can go up to $360,000 annually, with surgeons making $481,000 per year. Along with the earnings, you can avail of attractive health insurance facilities that make Canada a friendly country for doctors.
The Express Entry system along with the Provincial Nominee system has given PR status to more than 3600 doctors since 2015. It has also given permanent residence to around 8600 nurses. Look out for more changes that are on the way to benefit healthcare professionals!