To get an accurate idea as to where you currently rank in the CRS Score hierarchy, it is recommended that you first complete the self assessment to evaluate your current CRS score. To do so, log on to the CRS Score Calculator available on the official CIC website using the below link :
https://www. cic. gc . ca/english/immigrate/skilled/crs-tool.asp
If you scored above 470 points, chances are that can expect an ITA soon once All-Program draws resume. The same is likely when Canada lifts border restrictions upon vaccinating a majority of its population, perhaps as we enter Fall or Winter 2021.
If you managed a score above 400 but less than 465, do not give up hope, and use the next few months to increase your score in a focused manner, evaluating scope for improvement parameter wise, which might enable you to qualify for the Federal Skilled Trades Program. Assessment criteria and tips on increasing the CRS score are elaborated in the article below.
A score of less than 400 indicates that it would be wise to opt for alternate programs –
- PNP : Provincial Nomination Programs
- Entrepreneurial or Investment based programs
- CEC : Canadian Experience Class if you hold required Canadian experience
- Student Visas if you wish to pursue education in Canada
CRS Assessment Criteria and How to Maximize Score:
- Maximum 110 points are allotted to applicants aged between 20 and 29 years. For each year more or less than this threshold, 5 points are deducted.
- Since cutoffs for Federal Skilled Workers today generally require post-graduation along with 3 years of work-experience, applicants tend to be atleast 26-27 years old by the time they manage a sufficiently high score, leaving them only a couple of years to apply while retaining the maximum score.
- It is often useful to consider changing the ‘Primary Applicant’ for couples with similar education and experience to the younger of the two, so that a higher score is retained for longer.
- Language Fluency
- It is frequently declared that an IELTS score of 8-7-7-7 (which translates to an IELTS score of CLB-9) for an FSW is sufficiently high to clear the bar. This could not be further from the truth.
- With cutoffs raging beyond 470 all through 2020, the below table indicates how there is still scope to improve by 12 points (3 points for each section)
- So, if you are falling short of a few marks, right now is the time to dust that IELTS study material and take another shot at the IELTS General Training exam.
|CLB Level||CLB 9||CLB 10+|
- A CLB-6 Score in TCF adds 25 points to your CRS
- A Top score (CLB-10) adds 50 points to CRS
- These weightages have been increased respectively from 15 and 30 points previously
- If you have some time on your hand and are willing to shell a few bucks, aiming for Bilingual proficiency may be a great idea to garner a score enough to clear the cutoff!
- For a Single applicant, while a Diploma helps you secure 98 points, a Bachelors degree fetches you 120 and dual / multiple degrees are worth 128 points. A Masters degree and professional degrees (medicine, dentistry, law, etc) are worth 135. A PhD is worth 150 points, the highest possible score.
- It is imperative to note here that the field of study does not matter. Also, ALL educational credentials should be evaluated as recommended.
- Different evaluating institutions may adjudge the same degree differently. For example : Often in cases of MBA / PGDM programs, Education Credential Assessment (ECA) from WES (World Education Services) and ICAS (International Credential Assessment Service of Canada), WES evaluates these as Diploma courses and ICAS as Masters courses, thus leading to a difference to 7 points. Thus, changing the ECA evaluator may help certain cases.
- Long-distance / correspondence courses in general Masters subjects which can be pursued while working a full time job is a definite means to add to your score. Kurukshetra University, Chandigarh University etc offer Masters and Diploma courses in Environment, Nutrition etc which are easiest to crack with a week’s effort.
- Use the Lockdown wisely to invest time upskilling education credentials for a better CRS score
- Work Experience
- 3 Years of work experience yields the best CRS score. Hence, applying once you complete this requisite period is recommended for the highest CRS Score.
- Unpaid internships or freelance work experience can be built tactfully for employment gaps.
- Adaptability Score
- Relatives (siblings /spouse /parents /guardians) in Canada allows for 10 CRS points
- Canadian Education and Work Experience allow for upto 100 additional points
- Valid job offers allow 50-200 points through an LMIA. Securing a job offer through rigorous effort on LinkedIn or Indeed.com might not be futile after all, if you possess the skills in demand.
Summing up- How to Improve CRS Score to have ITA for Canadian Immigration
Applicants need multiple degrees, preferably upto post-graduation, alongwith progressively increasing language scores, relevant work experience and bilingual capabilities, all in a quickly reducing age bar. FSW applicants thus tend to be the cream of the Express Entry pool which is getting increasingly competitive.
Use the above 5 points wisely to build your score. The score can be increased in an already submitted application as well, without much effort.
We are as passionate as you, about getting you to Canada. For detailed advice or one-on-one consultation with respect to immigrating to Canada, feel free to get in touch with us at +91-8879100745.
Best of Luck!