What happens when you are in Canada as a visitor and think of working there? Oftentimes, when you visit a country you are tempted to extend your stay. And if you have the right qualification why not? But there is a cliche. Because you simply cannot apply for a job in Canada on a visitor visa. For that, you need to get a work permit. So here are a few things that you should do for securing a work permit as a visitor in Canada.
What Do The Immigration Rules Say About Securing Work Permit as Visitor in Canada?
In ordinary circumstances, a person is not allowed to apply for a job on a visitor visa. You can only apply for a work permit from inside Canada in case you have a valid work or study permit. Other conditions that may allow you to get a work permit while still inside Canada include:
- Either your common-law partner, spouse or parent has a valid study or work permit
- You own a valid study permit and can fulfill the eligibility for a PG work permit
- You or your spouse/common-law partner or parent possess a temporary work permit valid for six months or more
- You have already applied for a PR visa and are waiting for a decision for yourself, your spouse, or your common-law partner in the country.
- You want to claim refugee protection or already have done so
- You already are a convention refugee or have received protection from the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
- You already have the approval to work in Canada but since you want to shift your profession you are looking for a work permit for a different job
- You have signed the Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement (CUSMA) as an investor, professional, trader, or intra-company transferee.
If either of the immigration rules applies to you then securing a work permit as a visitor in Canada is possible. However, if none of the above rules apply to you, then in general circumstances it is not possible for you to apply for a work permit from inside the country. But the corona pandemic has changed many things.
New Rules For Applying For Job While Staying in Canada
The immigration department of Canada introduced a few changes during the COVID-19 pandemic. And according to it, you can apply for a work permit online but the applicant must submit his application according to the existing rules and situations. It is because the government is constantly monitoring the corona situation and depending on the crisis and changes is making amendments in its rules.
The IRCC has come out with a detailed guide related to the eligibility criteria that an applicant needs to fulfill while applying for a work permit online. And the first compulsory condition is an employment letter from an employer in Canada. Certain factors like genuineness of the employment letter, employer, his criminal record, compliance to earlier commitments will be checked by the IRCC before finally clearing the work permit.