If you are looking for someone to guide you about moving to Canada, you have reached the right place! I am going to guide you throughout, informing you about possible immigration pathways and prerequisites.
Moving to Canada is a dream to many. Moving to a different country or continent can be because of hundreds of reasons. Improved employment opportunities, higher education, moving in with spouse or families, and overall improved living standards are some of them.
Canada has recently announced an ambitious Canadian Immigration plan to ensure the fill-up of labor market gaps and remain a competitive nation on the world stage. Thereby, Canada is going to open its gates to many skilled workers, students, refugees, and 4,00,000 permanent residents, about 1% of the total population of Canada.
There happen to be hundreds of alternative options for moving to Canada, but I will highlight some of the most sought after ways in this article.
Express entry program is designed for those who wish to move to Canada for employment opportunities and possess the necessary skills and knowledge as well as contribute to the Canadian Economy in the long run. There are three different economic immigration programs available:
- Federal Skilled Worker Program – For those with Foreign work experience
- Canadian Experience Class Program – For those with Canadian work experience
- Federal Skilled Trades Program- For skilled tradespeople with jobs or licensing in Canada
- Take the suggested language tests either in English or French
- Proof of a minimum of 01 to 02 years of work experience
- Education qualification of minimum high school degree/ diploma to a post-secondary degree
Only candidates with the most competitive scores are invited to apply for the Express entry program. If invited, you and your accompanying family members can directly apply for the Canadian permanent residency. It takes about six months for the same to be processed.
2. Provincial Nominee Program
The Canadian Federation has a total of 13 political divisions, out of which ten are provinces and three are territories. To admit the immigrants in here, the PNP- Provincial Nominee program has been designed. More than 80,000 immigrants are expected to move into Canada by 2021.
The PNPs allow immigrants to settle in the specific province based on certain requirements, such as
- Job offers
- Demand Employment options
- Previous connection with the province as in Education
- Entrepreneurship and business opportunities
There are more than 80 PNP streams in Canada currently. Each set demands its prerequisites and eligibilities. The province of Quebec, however, does not participate in the PNP. Quebec immigration is a different process altogether.
3. Work Permits
A work permit is a temporary residence permit that allows employees and job seekers to move to Canada. Some work permits allow the flexibility to move around as well as change the job specifics while some do not.
Although temporary, the work experience gained through a work permit can be acknowledged for Canadian work experience necessary for acquiring a permanent residence in near future.
The same can be obtained through four routes:
- International Experience Canada Work Permit: The IEC grants the working youth ranging from 18 – 30 or till 35, from 36 participating countries to seek residence in Canada. However, the IEC does not guarantee residence to any spouses or relatives.
- Labour Market Impact Assessment Work Permits: The LMIA work permits Canadian Employers to employ international skilled workers by proving that the firm was unable to recruit a Canadian for the same position.
- Intra-company transfer work permit: As the name suggests, an ICT permit is sanctioned to people who may require to relocate to Canada for work, as employees of Multinational companies.
- USMCA or CUSMA permit: The free trade policies forged between the United States, Mexico, and Canada, allows workers in certain professions to obtain work permits in other countries.
4. Study Permits
Canada is one of the most covetable nations when it comes to higher education. Attracting motivated students from across the globe, Canada has admitted around 4,00,000 new international students in 2019.
A student permit can give access to working for students while pursuing academia or training and also makes an individual eligible for a post-graduate work permit.
A Canadian work experience while studying will be also be duly counted for permanent Canadian residence through the Express Entry Program and Provincial Nominee Program.
Being able to live with your family gives the ultimate relief and happiness. Therefore, Canada’s immigration policies include a Family class sponsorship program that allows the family members or relatives of permanent residents of Canada to immigrate to Canada. This can be availed if you have:
- Spousal or Common-Law relationship
- Dependent Children
- Parent or Grandparents residing in Canada
The sponsor must either be a permanent resident or a citizen of Canada to be able to apply for the program.
Moving to Canada is easier than ever. From various consulting groups ready to assist in moving, to the official resources, all necessary information one needs to know is available one click away.
I have listed only some ways which you can follow to move to Canada. There are other umpteen number of pathways available for immigration. Follow the ones that suit your needs and resources.