We are glad to share with the latest development coming from the Canadian government as per 24th Aug people living in Canada for a job can apply for a work permit without leaving the country. Excited? Let’s discuss more in detail.
This new policy is in effect immediately as per immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada IRCC. It is to benefit the people working on the job currently directly, and it’s not applicable for people coming in the country after 24th Aug as a visitor.
The new policy applies to:
- Visitors who can meet the eligibility criteria can apply for a work permit.
- Visitors with Super visa holders can apply
- Business visitors can also apply
- Visitors coming through Global skills strategy can apply as well.
Benefits of new visa reforms
We all know how difficult to deal with the pandemic. The world is facing difficulties due to COVID-19, as travel is limited from around the globe. The situation was difficult for people stuck in Canada due to the expiration of the work permits. They were not allowed to work any longer until they get the work permits from the respective country. This new policy will benefit the current population working in Canada.
- You don’t have to travel to your home country to get respective permits
- New work permits can be applied while working in Canada as per Aug24th 2020
- Benefits to Canadian employers who are hiring foreign workers
- The problem of shortage of workers will be resolved in Canada, especially in a pandemic situation like COVID-19
Earlier challenges faced-
Before Aug 24th, the policy was challenging since it never allowed the visa renewal in Canada; the visitors had to travel back to the home country to get respective work permits once the current license expires. It is a significant development waiting to happen. We spoke to a few employees and employers. They termed this significant step, which will help the workers and employers as well at the same time. It a big step toward a significant development in Canada and for foreign nationals, working on permits to contribute their skills and talent for the development of the country.
Eligibility Criteria for New Work Permit Rules for Canada
- You should have a valid status in Canada as of August 24th.
- You should have a valid job.
- The application must be submitted for an employer-specific work permit.
- Supported by labor market impact assessment
As per Marco Mendocino, Canada’s immigration minister said in the press release. “This exemption is a pretty big step for people currently working in Canada on temp work permits will help people to work freely, and this will also aim at eyeing more workforce, and useful skills and labor can accelerate the growth of the country. This leverage will also help to boost the country’s economy in challenging pandemic situation that we all are facing from COVID-19.