Australia attracts thousands of immigrants each year. Many people dream to work in Australia as it gives them ample opportunities to grow.
However, many don’t know the right process of getting Skilled Independent Work Visa under Subclass 189, commonly known as the 189 Visa.
Let’s discuss the Subclass 189 visa for workers to work and stay in Australia as a permanent resident.
What is Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?
The 189 visa allows potential workers to live and work in any part of Australia. If your occupation is listed on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List, you are eligible for a Subclass 189 visa.
You need to complete a skill test and be sponsored by a family member or an employer or nominated by the territory government or state government.
Benefits of Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)
If you have 189 Visa, you may avail numerous benefits such as-
- You can jovially live and work in Australia.
- You’ll have the opportunity to study in Australia.
- You can enrol in Medicare which is Australia’s state-run healthcare system.
- You can sponsor your family and relatives for Australian PR.
- You can travel outside Australia as per your choice and suitability.
How to Apply for a Skilled Independent Work Visa (Subclass 189)?
- First, check whether your occupation is on Australia’s Skilled Occupations List.
- You are required to meet all the eligibility criteria such as your age, English skills, your health, character certificate and many others.
- You must complete a Skill Assessment test. This test is conducted to see if your skills are qualified for the role you applied to work in Australia.
- Next, you will require to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) through SkillSelect. SkillSelect is an Australian immigration program in which skilled international workers are matched with the Australian employers to meet the job requirements. Make sure to add vital elements in your EOI, such as the result of your Skill Assessment, your IELTS exam and your points(at least 65 points).
- Find a sponsor as the 189 visa requires you to be sponsored by the Australian employer or your family member, or nominated by a territory or state government. Your sponsor will send you a Letter of Invitation to apply for the visa.
- Once your sponsor completed the necessary paperwork, you can apply for the 189 Visa (Skilled Independent Work Visa).
- It might take several months for DHA to decide on your visa application.
- Finally, after DHA approves your visa, you can start working in Australia.
An important point to consider while applying for a 189 visa is about taking the help of the visa agents. You must go through the complete guidelines of the 189 visa before you plan to select a visa agent.