How do international students stay in the USA after college?

Many of the international students whoever study in the USA, according to complete their tuition fees debt and repay the loan will work after completing the studies. After study in the USA wants to work and stay over there, make sure your visa and other requirements are in place. Make yourself aware of the constant changing in visa ruling. Stay tuned for the different option available of how do international students stay in the USA after college?

How do international students stay in the USA after college?
How do international students stay in the USA after college?

Following are the different visa option that is available for the international student who comes to the USA on F-1 visa and now want to extend its stay in the States:

· Practical Training on an F-1 Visa

After completing your graduation or course of study an F-1 student is generally can enroll himself in a one year of practical training. International students department of your university will inform you about the available options regarding the training according to your course of study. Review the application form and start searching for the options and apply accordingly.

  • Non-Immigrant H-3 Visa (Trainee)

An H-3 trainee visa is for those international students who don’t have any particular education course and just come to the USA to get training in a specific field and come back and serve their home country. H-3 visa is valid up to only 2 years and Non-Immigrant H-3 Visa (Trainee) applicants are not eligible for the extension of their visa to H-1 or L-1 status. An applicant needs to secure training under US employer who has an established training program.

·Non-Immigrant H-1B Visa (Specialty Occupation)

H-1B visa is an employment-based visa for this an applicant needs to have 1) Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent in US 2) us employer sponsorship 3) work experience and specific set of skills. US employer who will sponsor you will file a H-1B petition to the Department of Labor in order to get labor certification. This is to ensure minimum wages for the foreign worker and the foreign worker will get same benefits as American counterpart.

The H-1B is valid initial up-to 3 years but can be extended to further 3 years but not beyond that. The family of the applicant can come with him on H-4 visa, through which spouse can stay but can’t work and children can study along with the stay.

  • Non-Immigrant R-1 Visa (Religious Worker)

The R-1 religious worker category is for the people who are engaged in the religious work, they could be ministers, persons working for the religious organization. For this visa, an applicant has to show that he/ he is working with the religious organization for at least 2 years prior to the application. R-1 visa is valid up to 3 years and can further be extended up to 2 years but not more that. R-1 visa applicant has tax exemption status and this should be ensured by the US employer.

· Non-Immigrant E-1/E-2 Visa (Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor)

The USA has entered into treaties with certain countries, which allow their country nationals to obtain treaty trader/treaty Investor visas. For an E-1 visa to be valid at least 51% of the company’s trade is must be between the U.S. and the treaty country. For an E-2 visa requirement is to make a “substantial investment” into a new or existing enterprise. Higher officials of that a company like Managers, executives, and other essential employees can apply for the E-1/E-2 visas. Initially, this visa is granted for a 5-year period but it can be extended for 2-years upon each entry. An applicant can extend this visa as long as he wanted and as long as his services are needed to the US company.

· Non-Immigrant L-1 Visa (Intracompany Transfer)

The companies who have offices in the U.S but currently are in a different country and need to transfer some of its employee on a temporary assignment to the USA used the L-1 intracompany transferee visa. This visa is valid for the period of 7 years for the executives and higher officials of the company. The person with the particular skill set who is required for the assignment is also applicable for the visa but his visa is valid up to 5 years.

If the company has a newly established office in the U.S. subsidiary, the applicant’s visa is only for 1 year but it can be extended if he shows large business transaction or future business activity. In a multinational executive/manager category, the person can also apply for the permanent residency.

·Non-Immigrant Obtaining a “Green Card”

A person can acquire permanent residency (“green card status”) status quickest and easiest by family relationships. A family member the immigrant can sponsor him for the stay in the US or if the applicant is married to a US citizen then also he/she is eligible for the permanent residency. Another possible category to obtain the green card is refugees and people seeking asylum.

Diksha Garg

Next Post

Is it really tough to get a job in Australia?

Wed May 30 , 2018
After moving to the new country you have to start from the scratch. Initial times are bit tough but you will gradually pass over it. Whosoever say it is difficult to find a job in Australia as a fresher must have applied wrong strategies to pull a job. Most Australian […]
Is it really tough to get a job in Australia?