United Kingdom brings in prominent changes in the immigration rules to gain attention from Immigrants coming from India. The changes have been brought after a drop out in the popularity of UK amongst Indians. It was observed that students as well as Entrepreneurs preferred other countries to UK as their favorite destination.
The major changes
• Indian students would be allowed to take up corporate internships after they complete their degree in UK.
• Graduates coming through a “Graduate Entrepreneur Visas” would be allowed to make a switch to visa meant for skilled workers. They can do so with the facility of new entrant salary. The sponsored need not go through resident labor market test.
• Immigrants coming through Graduate Entrepreneur Visa would find it easier to get a skilled job.
• An employee who comes to UK on Business Visitor Visa can take up training in the relevant field.
• Employees who come to UK on “Intra-company transfer” would not be required to sit for a “language test” if and when they wish to get the visa extended.
The advantages for the country
Experts believe that the changes would not only benefit the Indian Immigrants but would also yield great deal of advantages to the people of UK.
Vice Chancellor of Cambridge University says, “The recent steps are welcomed by both the academic community and business leaders in the UK.”
He feels that such a step was important to retain eh bets talent coming to the Universities of UK from India. He informs that there are around 300 students from India studying alone in Cambridge University and such a support would help these students to stay back in UK after they have completed their degree. This was event the labour market in UK would also receive benefits.
The damages in the past
Government had discontinued post study work visa, and this brought a large amount of damage to the educational institutions in UK. Many of the undergraduate students, who could have come to UK, got diverted to other countries where they got better facilities.
Going by the past experience many of the students have preferred to get admitted to other European countries.
Going by the experiences of London Metropolitan University wherein many students were left at lurch, sometime would be needed to regain faith and confidence in UK’s educational institutions.
And such stories have only led to drop out in the number of enrollments in the prominent Universities across UK.
In spite of big changes the experts believe that there are bigger ones yet to come:
• The students who will complete their degree are allowed to work, but those who are still studying in any of the Universities in UK are yet to be considered for this role.
• Employees coming to UK on Intra company transfer would not have to sit for a language test but their settlement issue is still not solved.
The Government has come a long way, but there are major steps to be taken in terms of reforming the Immigration Rules.