Process of applying for marriage visa in UK
The citizens and permanent residents of UK can come to the country under the category of “marriage visa”. One needs to meet the following criteria for applying and receiving a marriage visa.
• When the any of the foreign spouse is presently staying in UK and his visa is valid for a long term then the application can be made for a marriage visa by making an application for remaining even further from inside UK itself. This kind of an application is called (FLR) M.
• The application can be submitted from any other country to the British consulate, Embassy or High Commission, provided they have the jurisdiction of normal and legal residence.
• Those who are staying in other countries on temporary long term visas can also take an appointment to submit their marriage visa application to a nearby UK visa office.
• If the couple has stayed together for 4 years then you can expect a visa for a probationary period of two years.
• If your marriage survives and you plan to live together even further at the end of 2 years’ duration, you will be given a visa for that.
• A spouse who is a citizen of UK or a permanent resident should meet their spouse in person to get the visa. There are cases when husband and wife do not meet with each other in arranged marriages. They cannot be awarded visas.
• Your intention should be live with the same spouse forever.
• You will have submitted documents to prove that economically you’re sound and capable enough to meet your and your spouse’s expenditure.
• You should submit proof to show that accommodation is available for your spouse.
• Before entering UK one has to apply for “entry clearance”.
• You can take your dependent children along with you. The application can be made together with the “spouse visa”.
• If you stay in UK for three years and meet the criteria then you may also apply for UK citizenship.
• Most of the British Consulates consider long term work and student visa holders to be “temporary residents” and hence they understand that these residents have no rights to remaining in a foreign country. Hence they may refuse marriage visas.
• Processing time may vary from a few days to several months.
While applying you must always remember to submit all the documents adequately, otherwise you may experience your visa getting cancelled. Even if your application is cancel due to inadequate papers or incorrect details in it, your fee remains non-refunded.