Procedure to apply for Off Campus job permit while studying in Canada
A student can work off the campus while studying
Students moving to Canada have to bear huge expenditure of their tuition fee, living cost and other maintenance. In doing so, the money which they get from home does not suffice. Hence to stay happily and to meet all the costs they start looking for a job off the campus.
Such students can work in the nation while studying only if they obtain “Off campus Work Permit”.
Eligibility and procedure for applying
• An applicant must be a full time student enrolled at a post-secondary institution. This institution can be either publicly funded or privately funded with the courses approved.
• A publicly funded institution is one which receives at least 50% of their financing for all their operations from the government. Such institutes should have signed an off campus work agreement with the provincial or territorial government.
• Publicly funded Institutes are those which have signed a memorandum of understanding with the Citizenship and Immigration Canada.
• Never start working before you get the permit to work.
• The work permit gives you the authority to work for at least 20 hours per week when your session is going on.
• During holidays like winter and summer vacations you can work full day.
• Remember that obtaining a work permit is no guarantee of getting a job. You will have to look for one on your own.
• Also if your academic performance is not up to the mark or you’re not a full time student then your work permit will be taken away from you.
Students coming from abroad gain a lot from this system of “working off the campus” while one is still studying further. Most of the foreigner students come here to get a higher degree which is most of the times unaffordable in terms of cost.
The universities and Institutions provide bets of the facilities hence the cost gets appreciated. Working off the campus gives a great opportunity to the students to earn pocket money. Sometimes, they get such a beautiful job that they don’t have to depend on their family for supporting them.
Apart from earning money they get a good exposure and practical experience of studying and working in Canada. These who plan to stay back get a first-hand experience of working with the locals; in fact if the work is related to their own study field then the working experience they gain is unparalleled.