Permanent Residents Studying Abroad

Every year, thousands of Canadian students leave the country to participate in educational exchange programs or to pursue professional degrees. They acquire valuable skills and knowledge to enrich their experience and living. They also wish to study in a new and different environment. However, they wish to return to Canada.
Now there are a few aspects that these aspiring students need to know before they can be hopeful to contribute with their acquired skills and knowledge once they decide to return back to their home country, Canada either for further study or practicing a profession. Important to remember is the time spent in Canada.

When one is a permanent resident, s/he can live outside Canada, but must live in Canada for at least two years in a five-year period. If one has lived outside of Canada for longer, then there is a danger of losing permanent resident status. Losing one’s permanent resident status may also occur if the person is convicted of a serious crime and told to leave Canada. If one travels outside Canada, the permanent resident card is a proof that one is a permanent resident of Canada. If a person leaves Canada and then wishes to return then this card is needed to re-enter the country whether it be in a commercial vehicle, an aircraft, boat, train or bus.

The Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) is the official proof of the status that a person is a permanent resident in Canada. Important to note here is that one is not issued a permanent resident card if s/he is a Canadian. So, it is essential to verify the status in Canada before applying for a permanent resident card. To be eligible for a PR Card, you must be a permanent resident of Canada, be physically present in Canada, not be under an effective removal order, not be a Canadian citizen or a registered Indian under the Indian Act and not be convicted of an offense related to the misuse of a PR card.
One may also be eligible for Canadian citizenship and may be able to obtain Canadian citizenship if they are permanent residents of Canada, have lived in Canada for 3 out of 4 years immediately preceding the date of an application for Canadian citizenship and meet all other requirements. A person will not be issued a PR card if one happens to be a Canadian.

Immigration Frauds

Tue, 07/01/2014 - 11:12

Claudia Arreola, 35, of El Monte, owner of Los Angeles- based California Immigration Services and her employee, Leticia Gutierezz, 35 of Pico Rivera were taken into custody on Thursday for allegedly filing fraudulent green card applications on...

Money Matters

Sun, 07/13/2014 - 17:20

It provides them with the opportunity to give to their community. Lawyers provide a valuable service, and one that not everyone can afford.

In the wake of an economic downturn many people in need of legal expertise are unable to access it due to a lack of finances. Through pro bono work, many individuals in need are able to get access to the justice that's entitled to everyone.

If you're looking for a pro bono lawyer in Canada, there are a few important...

CIC Announcements

Fri, 08/29/2014 - 12:45

Its being predicted that Canada may abolish its ‘Citizenship by Birth” in the coming times.

Restricting Canada Citizenship by Birth?—As per a report prepared in 2013, Canada has been working out on restricting the much coveted and highly sought-after privelege—Canada citizenship by birth.

As per the current rules, any individual getting birth...