Options available for an “Expired Work Permit”
Expired Work Permit still allows to work with the existing Employer
Work permit allows an immigrant to work in Canada temporarily. Such people are neither Canadian citizens nor they are permanent residents. They should be above the age of 18 years and for those who are under this age; their application form should be signed by their parents.
Every year the nation experiences an arrival of more than 150,000 temporary workers.
Open Work Permit
It enables you to work for an employer for a given time limit which is mentioned in the permit itself. After receiving your first stage approval, you become eligible to apply for “permanent residency” as well.
In case you submit the work permit along with your “permanent residency” application, and you continue working the same employer then you need not take an extension of your work permit even if it expires.
If you want to switch employer then you will have to get it renewed by putting in fresh applications.
The Available options
• If you are working as caregiver, then you may apply for “bridge extension”. An interim work permit is given to such caregivers who are looking for a new employer and are between jobs. Of course, this interim paper does not enable one to join a new employer but one can stay in the nation legally and get the work permit renewed.
• If you plan to take up a new job and know that your work permit is likely to expire then you must apply for a new one.
• If you have not renewed your permit, then your employer can always help you by extending your term of employment even after the period gets over.
• While staying in Canada, you can apply for the renewal of your permit.
• A temporary Social Insurance Number is issued to a worker when his work permit gets expired.
• You can continue to work on same terms and conditions as before if your work permit expires.
The processing time of “renewal” takes a few weeks to even months. Hence, either one should
Take necessary steps to get the renewed work permit before the old one expires or continue working the same employer, at least till the time he gets a new one. It is a serious crime in the nation to work without holding a valid permit.