A sound Immigration strategy is believed to be the key for the economic development of a Province. This strategy has to be supported by enhanced employer and stakeholder partnership and needs a strong coordination between the federal and the Provincial Government.
Experts in Ontario strongly recommend that the Immigration policy of the province shelf evolve around attracting, retaining and integrating more and more immigrants.
They also recommend the policies which would favor the percentage of economic class immigrants so that social and economic structure and equation foot he province is changed for good. They foresee the future which is largely based on the inflow and outflow of immigrants into the region.
• The province has been a preferred location for the immigrants, yet, there is a drop in the number of arrivals on last fee occasions.
• Ontario needs a minimum of 135,000 new immigrants every year; this is speculated by an expert panel working on this research.
• In another decade’s time Ontario is likely to face a shortage of skilled workers by a figure of more than 300,000.
• Out of the total Immigrant population only 24% have been working in the right kind of field which match with their qualification and experience.
• The immigrants earn 23% less than their Canadian counterparts.
• A report suggests that the immigrants face a trouble in getting a job in Ontario merely because; the unemployment rate in the province is as high as nearly 16%.
The efforts needed
• An alignment should be done in all the sectors like education, infrastructure planning, economic development related to the immigrants coming to Ontario.
• The proposal is to enhance the cooperation between various departments of the government which basically control the process of immigration. Measures should be talked to ensure that there is a reduction in poverty and the economy grows.
• The quality of basic facilities like education, health system and other public services should be made better so that Immigrants prefer coming to Ontario.
• Evaluation of the present Immigration policies would be done and measures should be taken to make the policy an immigrant friendly one. An analysis of skills and competencies gap should be done to understand the kind of immigrants needed by the province.
With these steps Ontario is on the path of attracting the Immigrants, helping them settle down faster and better and this in turn will strengthen the economy of the province.