International students wanting to come and study in the UK will be in for a surprise.
New rules for UK student visas—
Several changes have been announced by the UK government to become effective soon.
• Changes to UK Post Study Work visa--As per the changes introduced by the UK government, the earlier provision of getting work in the UK after successful completion of the study course will no longer be available.
Changes to the UK Post Study Work Visa scheme will leave many foreign students in a dilemma since it will rob them of an opportunity to work and earn while staying in the UK after completing their studies here.
Prior to this change, international graduates coming to the UK on UK student visas were allowed to live in the UK for a period of two years and get jobs.
But, as of now, if foreign graduates are unable to find an employment in the UK before the expiry of their UK visa, then they will lose their right to get employed in the UK.
The fact is that the time available for foreign graduates to find suitable jobs in the UK after the end of the study course and before the expiry of their UK visas is not more than a couple of weeks.
• New requirements for employers seeking UK Tier 2 visas—Employers will now be governed by new rules if they want to offer sponsorship to foreign graduate workers—
1. Possess a Tier 2 sponsor license;
2. Advertise the position at Job Centre Plus;
3. Minimum salary offered must be £20,000 annually;
4. Employers should either be on the shortage occupation list or offer a graduate level employment;
5. Allocate to the applicant a COS(Certificate of Sponsorship) All such changes to the UK visa rules governing foreign students or international students will deter genuine and legitimate students from coming to the UK and study here.
Such reforms will make it all the more difficult for foreign graduates to find employment in the UK.
And this might lead to a big blow to the UK’s value in the international education market.