New Set of Eligibility Criteria for Skilled Worker Applicants
Changes have been proposed for making applications under Skilled Worker Categroy
Making an application as a “Skilled Worker” would demand a certain set of requirements which are to be met by the applicant.
A maximum of 1,000 applications are approved every year for this category.
The criteria to be met are
• If you are an international student enrolled in a PhD program in any of the recognized private or public institution which is of post-secondary level and is situated in any of the Provinces or territories of the country can apply under this category.
• As an international student you must have completed a minimum of two years of your PhD program.
• Your academic achievements are of high standard.
• You do not hold any award or reward according to which you are supposed to return back to your home country for making a contribution through the knowledge you have acquired.
• You must not have crossed a period of 12 months after completing your PhD Course.
Proposed changes making application under Skilled Worker Category
• Language will be the most important criteria for the authorities to make selection.
• An applicant has to meet the minimum threshold level of meeting language standards.
• Younger immigrant applicants will be given preference over the older ones. And this, is keeping the current aging population of the country in mind.
• Applicants with Canadian Work Experience will be given preference over those who would not hold the same. In fact, the applicants with foreign work experience would not be preferred much.
• The process of “Arranged Employment” would be made easier than before so that the number of fraud cases can be curbed.
• Spouse with “enhanced language ability” will be preferred. If he or she holds a Canadian experience then the application process will get smoothened up.
• The Educational credentials of the applicant will be verified against the standards of Canada.
Opinions coming from the Authorities
Immigration Minister, Jason Kenney says, “This is an important step we are taking to address the problem of immigrants arriving and not being able to work in their field.”
He also adds that the new measures are set so that the educated and skilled immigrants coming to the country do not land up making compromises only to meet their survival needs.
Making an application under the category of “Skilled Worker” is a matter of meeting the criteria which need to be met stringently for getting the application approved.