New Canada citizenship certificate issued by Canada
Canada, 23rd February: Canada has introduced a new format of Canadian citizenship certificate with effect from 1st February, 2012.
Changed Canada citizenship card--The earlier wallet-sized plastic Canadian citizenship certificate has now been changed to a letter-sized paper Canadian citizenship certificate.
It will be meant for those making applications for proof of Canada citizenship and for new Canada citizens. The redesigned Canada citizenship certificate displays information that can easily validated using new system of electronic validation.
A point worth notable here is that new Canadians who had received their commemorative Canada citizenship certificate at citizenship ceremonies will be issued new certificates.
Meanwhile, those having a Canada citizenship certificate issued prior to 1st February, 2012 do not need to make an application seeking a replacement.
The new Canada citizenship certificate does not have an image on it and is to be used for proving one’s Canada citizenship. It should not be used either as a travel document or as an ID (identity) document. Any citizen of Canada wishing to travel outside Canada needs to get a Canadian passport.
Canadian citizenship certificate—It is a documented issued by the Canadian government to the citizens of Canada for proving their Canada citizenship status. It contains your certificate number, your name, your gender, your date-of-birth among other details.
Proof of Canada citizenship is needed for following— It is a vital document needed to be shown at the time of--
• Applying for Canada passport;
• Voting in provincial or federal elections;
• Applying for a social insurance card or provincial health card;
• For making applications for certain federal jobs in Canada.
• Getting a driver’s license, an enhanced identity card, or an enhanced driver’s license in Canada.
Documents accepted as proof of Canada citizenship— Following documents are accepted by CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada) as proof of Canada citizenship—
• Territorial or provincial birth certificates—Such certificates are sufficient proof of being a Canadian citizens provided you birth place is Canada.
• Registration of Birth Abroad certificates(issued between 1st January, 1947 and 14th Feb, 1977)
• Certificates of Retention(issued between 1st January, 1947 and 14th Feb, 1977-both dates inclusive)
• Naturalization certificates(issued before 1st January 1947)
• Citizenship certificates.