The administration of Diversity Visa program is done on an annual basis. The program is run by Department of States.
The section 203(c) of immigration and Nationality Act are referred for maintaining the terms and conditions of the program.
Important features of the program
• Diversity visa is given to immigrants belonging to the countries with low rate of immigration. In other words, there are some countries from which the immigrant arrival to US is comparatively low and hence preference is given to the individuals of these countries. Therefore the name of program is maintained as Diversity Visa.
• Every fiscal year as many as 55,000 immigrants are given this Visa.
• An applicant has to meet the given criteria to qualify under this program.
• Selection is made on random basis, which is done through computer.
• A larger chunk of the visas are given to immigrants belong to the countries with minimum representation in US.
• Those countries do not get a preference under this category that already has a representation of more than 50,000 immigrants to US, in the last five years.
Countries that send more than 50,000 immigrants in the last five years
Some of these countries are Bangladesh, India, Mexico, Pakistan, Philippines, UK, South Korea, Colombia and a few more.
Some of the preferred countries are Macau SAR, Hong Kong SAR, Taiwan and a few more.
Diversity Visa 2015
For 2015, DV opened at 12 noon on October 1, 2013 and it remained open till November 2, 2013, 12 noon.
There is no provision to make application through hard copy rather one has to submit the same electronically. This system was introduced for the first time in 2005. Electronic processing helps the department to trace the cases with a criminal offense or even the fraudsters could be caught easily. This system also helps to0 track an applicant making applications for more than one time for increasing his chances; however it is caught and disqualified.
Submitting an electronic form would help an applicant to track the status of application.
For filling up the form one should select the English option of the form and fill it up accordingly. English version is the only official form accepted by the Department.
Recent development in the program
Spouses belonging to same sexes and common law partners as well as minor children are allowed to apply under this category as well which was not there before.
From 2014 onwards applicants have been a unique confirmation number which is another tool to help them in tracing the status of their applications.
There is anchorage to download or fill up the form. There are many agencies which could ask for money for doing the same on your behalf and can misguide you.
Diversity Visa Program is a program which helps immigrants belonging to the countries with minor or no representation in US. This is to ensure that there is a diversity of population in the country and to provide opportunities to those who were not given any preference all this while.