International Students to learn new regulations

New regulations have been introduced for International Students which would be effective from June of 2014.

The Government would make the foreigner students follow the new regulations from 1st of June this year.

The system in place now
• The existing system would allow a student to apply for study permit even if he did not get an admission and he only intended to come to Canada for studying.
• An international student is allowed to apply for a study permit for studying in any of the educational institutions in the country.
• An international student holding a study permit was allowed to apply for an Off Campus Work permit and he is was able to work for a maximum of 20 hours per week off the campus. He could take up a part time job while academic session and a full time job during scheduled breaks.
• For the courses holding co-op placements as an integral part, an international student was allowed to make an n application for a Co-op Work Permit.
• There was no provision for a visitor to apply for study permit while being in Canada on Visitor Visa.
• An international student who has a study permit even beyond completion of a given ours could stay back in the country legally, till the time the same got expired.
• Registered Indians being foreign nationals as well were not exempted from the requirement of obtaining a study permit.
• Someone who is waiting to get an approval on Post-Graduation, after completing the initial level of education was not allowed to work without a Work Permit.

The changes introduced
• An applicant has to enroll and pursue studies in a Canadian Institution; otherwise he will be asked to leave the country. No study permit would be issued only based on the intention of studying in Canada; one actually has to pursue the same.
• Study permits would be given to the international students enrolling in those Educational Institutions which are eligible for taking in international students.
• If an international student holds a study permit, he will be automatically be eligible to work off the campus for 20 hours every week during academic session and can take up a full time job when the session is off. But, the student should be enrolled for a course which is either academic, or vocational or professional and needs a tang for minimum of six months, and finally it leads to a degree or diploma or a certificate. In every case the institution should be a designated one.
• International students studying at an institution which is designated can apply for Co-op Work Permit, provided this is an integral part of the course, they are pursuing.
• A visitor can submit an application for obtaining a study permit from within the country. This is valid for only those who are at the level of pre-school, primary or secondary level or he or she could be on an academic exchange or has completed a course.
• A study permit would stand invalid after 90 days of completing a course. To remain further in Canada an international student would have to obtain a valid work permit.
• Registered Indians can study in the country even if they don’t hold a study permit; this is because they have been given the right of entering the country.
• International students who are eligible can take up a full time job, once they have completed their studies.
The Government has made an effort to provide maximum benefits to the international students because the thought is to utilize them for the growth of the nation.