When immigration Minister Chris Alexander was introducing the changes in CEC he had said that the effort is to reduce the backlog and the processing time as well. He informed that CEC allowed 25,000 people to stay and contribute to the growth of country.
The changes introduced
• The time for which applicants were required to work before applying under this category was reduced from two years to one.
• Language proficiency requirements were also minimized.
• With an aim of making things faster the number of taking in application were capped at 12,000 between November 9, 2013 to October 31, 2014.
• However, even with the capping defined last year, the department would be accepting as many as 15,000 applications this year.
• The country aims at bringing in immigrants belonging to diversified fields and hence the number of applications would be capped for every single occupation.
Reason behind bringing changes
CIC had to deal with all the applications coming under this category within one year, as it was mandatory, so to reduce the pressure the capping has been introduced. With limited number of applicants CIC is expected to serve better and faster without failing the deadlines.
Government had set the processing time to be a year to promote CEC program among the immigrants, but it would create immense pressure on the Department and officials.
A quicker process
To reduce the processing time and wait for an applicant the proof of language proficiency assessment would be their right at the top of the file. On the basis of this an application could stand rejected.
As soon as an application is rejected, it would be returned back to the applicant along with refunding the processing fee.
With such a quick response an applicant would get to know the status of his application sooner and accordingly he can find out other options of becoming a permanent citizen.
The effect on the applicants
Those who could not submit their applications before the changes were introduced would be under immense pressure due to capping the numbers.
The practice has disappointed as many as 40% of the applications coming under this category were refused last year.
A large number of applications have been rejected due to inappropriate documents attached along with. This was again because many of the workers who applied had a work permit issued for NOCs but it actually did not match up with their jobs they were actually into.
Last year applications with minor errors were also rejected because the Department officials had to meet the deadline of processing time.
Changes would allow CIC to meet the deadline of processing time.
With a smaller number of applications and less of processing time, temporary Foreign Workers would be able to attain the status of permanent residents quite fast.
CEC which is program to help many immigrants become the permanent residents is now disappointing many of them, though the changes are brought with an aim to make things better.