A caregiver willing to come to Canada must ensure that she gets intro a contract before taking any further step.
The first step
A caregiver must get a Labor Market Opinion from the employer in Canada, which he can only provide if he has made an application to Human Resource and Skills Development Canada.
This is needed to prove that there is a genuine vacancy and you have been picked for the job as a caregiver.
The second step
The next step would be to get into a written contract. For this your employer needs to send you a positive LMO and a written contract, which you need to sign. This contract will entail every possible detail about your employment.
The written contract should mention
• The paid benefits
• your transportation cost from your home country to Canada
• Employer has to bear the cost of medical insurance from your arrival till the time you are eligible to stay legally in the country for this job.
• The entire set of cost which is associated with your hiring process should also be broken by the employer.
• The contract should also mention your duty hours, number of working hours, the wages you would be receiving, the arrangement for accommodation, the leaves when you will fall sick or would go for a holiday and the terms and conditions for terminating your services.
• The job description, meaning whether you are hired for a child, a senior person or a disabled person along with the description of care responsibilities.
• There should be a clear indication of any pet care to be done by you.
• Any household or additional responsibility should also be clearly indicated in your written contract.
The third step
After you have received all the above mentioned documents, you may now apply for a “work permit”. To know the right procedure you can always take help from your nearest visa center. The application can be made both online and on paper as well. You need to have a passport and take up a biometric test for this step.
Cases where people are cheated
If you don’t get into a written agreement there is a high chance that you may get cheated upon by the consultants and even sometimes by the person who is bringing you in to Canada. There will be an ambiguity in your wages and other benefits since nothing was given to you in writing and hence there is s cope of being deviated. In the absence of a written document you may find yourself staying illegally in the country and may get a punishment even without being guilty.
There are cases when nannies are brought from other countries with “empty promises” and are treated poorly after they are there in Canada. To protect oneself from this kind of a cheat it is always advisable to follow the correct procedure. One can find out the process of making an application through official website of CIC.