There is a proposal of making an investment of $11 million in another two years to make sure that a stronger process is in place which gives preference to the Canadians whenever there is an opening for job vacancy.
Preference for Foreign workers
The Government had received a tinkle on jobs going to foreign workers than the Canadians which quoted the situation to be “disconnect between the efforts of preferring Canadian employees and temporary foreign workers”.
There was a report prepared by Human resources department which said that jobs were taken away by the foreign workers.
The outlines of report prepared by Human Resources Department
In Alberta the employers had received approval for hiring slightly more than 1200 TFW whereas only 350 workers were taken in from Canada itself.
Employers received permission to hire workers from foreign lands because they could prove that there were no workers available from Canadian origin.
The report also showed that only one out of five job vacancies were posted on the sites of Job Banks.
The report also suggests that almost 25% of the jobs were occupied by the temporary foreign workers, in 2012.
Efforts made by the Government
• TFW program was dissolved for restaurants by Employment Minister Jason Kenney.
• Rules for Labour Market opinion has been tightened up.
• Employers have been directed to pay the same wages to temporary foreign workers that are being paid to the employees of Canadian origin.
• An employer would have to post the vacancies on job sites approved by government, once they are sure of not being able to fill these vacancies with the natives of the country, only then can they move towards foreign workers.
• Employers giving preference to TFW without even offering a job to the natives would face strict consequences.
• Employers would not be allowed to use any other language apart from English or French for posting a job.
• Advertisements need to be made widely so that they reach the Canadians first.
• Government is also taking measures that would reduce the processing time for the applicants willing to come here.
• There are measures in place to ensure that employers do not get into a non-compliance mode and hence the foreign employees are prevented better.
Country is hugely facing the issue of skill shortage and labor shortage as well. Therefore there is a need to bank upon firing population. But at the same time it is also impotent to protect the rights of Canadians. There are job vacancies which are not picked up by the Canadians because they have their own demands.
Filling up job vacancies is an important task for the employers, but at times they are reported to overrule the regulations so that they can hire foreign workers at a cheaper rate. Government therefore has introduced new set of rules and has tightened arms on hiring TFW. Non com pliers would have to face tough charges so they need to look amongst the Canadians for filling up the job vacancies.