Applications for Federal Skilled Trades Program will be accepted now
Immigrants can now apply under Federal Skilled worker Program
Applications for Federal Skilled Program will be accepted from January 2, 2013. Applicants waiting all this while can submit their applications from the second day of the New Year.
Requirements of the program
• One will need to have an “Employment Offer” from an employee in any of the provinces or territories of the country.
• One will need to have a certificate to show that there is a job ready for the immigrant when comes to Canada.
• He or she needs to hold a minimum two years of work experience in Canada.
• One has to meet the basic language requirement as well.
Special features of the program
The new program will give due consideration to the labor needs of the industries in the country. The program will work well even for the small employers who are also fighting a shortage of workers for their firms.
Role of the program in the economy of the country
Immigration minister, Jason Kenney says, “The new Skilled Trades Stream will help address labor shortages and support economic growth.”
He further adds, that the immigration System in the country has been waiting for too long to see a reform in the process and the new changes will make the immigration faster and smoother making huge contributions to the economy of the nation.
Shortcomings of the program that has been into existence as of now
• The program which has been into existence till now suffers from major setbacks like; it has not been trades friendly.
• The labor shortage in the country could not be served through the on-going program.
• The current program has not been enough to combat the challenge of the aging population of the country.
Status of labor demand in the country
By 2020, the construction industry in Canada would rank fifth and hence there would be a requirement of more than 300,000 workers in another decade’s time. About half of this requirement has to come from foreign countries as the entire requirement cannot be met with domestic population only. And this is the story of one sector only.
The new program is a welcome change by the employers and also by the Immigrants who have been waiting for submitting their applications for quite some time now.